On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Jiri Benc wrote:

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 14:18:15 +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
This is not about the name that makes sense.  I think using ethX names
for wireless devices is utterly stupid, but it's what all current upstream
drivers do, and at least for WE compat we'll have to stick to it.

That's not true. Look at hostap or zd1201, for example. Also, ethX name
is not needed for WE compatibility. And because of various names used
by various drivers (madwifi uses ath0, for example) config scripts
don't depend on ethX name today anyway.

At least the ones used on my machines all do.
(Debian Sarge, Etch and Unstable)
The configfiles can be changed without problems to use any device name, but needing to edit various files just for a kernel update would inhibt me from just trying a new version until I really know I would not need to go back to the old version again.

(Switching wireless from eth1 to eth2 after copying the harddisk contents to a new laptop was work enough, but at least expected with a new machine and changed hardware)

c'ya
sven

--

The Internet treats censorship as a routing problem, and routes around it.
(John Gilmore on http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/)