On Thursday 02 November 2006 19:22, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Ok, that one was wrong. But what is it doing in the public API? We need
> to remove it from the public API and leave struct net_device *dev as the
> parameter. adm8211 actually uses it and increases the tx_fifo_error
> counter, but that's a bit strange.

That's because TX might fail for reasons other than not getting an ACK. I
can't say I've actually seen this happen, so it might just be something left
over from tulip that doesn't need to be there now. (or perhaps it only
happens when there's something really bad going on) However, what's so bad
about letting drivers update some statistics if it is possible? If you remove
ieee80211_dev_stats, please provide some other way for drivers to access
struct net_device_stats.

-Michael Wu