Stephen Hemminger wrote:
I am working on getting WOL to work on sky2 (and then skge). But in the process
noticed that the semantics of WOL seems to be device dependent. I assume that
WOL
should work when device is suspended. But some drivers also support WOL when
the device is down (or even removed).

[...]
It doesn't seem like a good idea for a network device to wake the system
if it is down. Maybe if the kernel fully supported dormant, maybe, but
when device is down it shouldn't impact the system.

You seem to be muddling "device", "driver", and "system" together.

The purpose of WOL is being able to turn on a system remotely, if it is in a power-off or sleep state.

So, if the system is -on- and the interface is down and/or driver is unloaded, are you saying WOL is a problem somehow?

        Jeff