Hi,

> Previously the open() and stop() methods in ieee80211_hw had been
> deprecated and the driver should enable or disable the radio
> based on the add_interface and remove_interface() functions.
> Now that the driver should provide open() and stop() for the netdevice
> structure does this mean that these 2 methods are back in control
> for enabling and disabling the radio?

Yeah, it'll have to, otherwise the device it created itself will be
totally useless unless some other device is also open.

> And if so what should the
> add_interface and remove_interface, should they be only in charge of
> triggering some configuration changes (like mode and mac address)?

Mostly notably it's probably going to be used for the drivers to have
veto powers, if they can't handle some specific combinations etc.

Though for 802.11h the radio does need to be turned off in some cases
regardless of the up/down state, so we'll have to think about that. Or
we just force all interfaces down? Not sure yet.

I confident we can work out these issues if we agree that converting it
to a protocol is a good thing. After doing it, I'm personally pretty
convinced that it is, some things just fell into place nicely and feel
less hacky.

johannes