On 12/7/18 9:26 AM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> Would you be happier if .ndo_change_carrier() only acted on Fixed PHYs?
>
> I think it makes sense to allow a fixed phy carrier to be changed from
> user space. However, i don't think you can easily plumb that to
> .ndo_change_carrier(), since that is a MAC feature. You need to change
> the fixed_phy_status to indicate the PHY has lost link, and then let
> the usual mechanisms tell the MAC it is down and change the carrier
> status.

Joakim, I still don't understand what did not work with:

- adding a ndo_change_carrier() interface which keeps a boolean flag
whether the link was up or not

- register a fixed_link_update callback for your fixed PHY, which just
propagates that flag back to the fixed PHY

and that should take care of having the carrier go down, as driven by
the PHY state machine, for that fixed device.
--
Florian