Al Viro wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:04:32PM -0500, Brian Haley wrote:
Al Viro wrote:
so -= 1 is broken even on ia64 and it's *always* broken on big-endian
boxen.
It's not broken in ia64, I've tested that, just don't have an x86 for testing right now. Can you please apply these changes and prove it's broken? This little trick has been done in other UNIXes for years without any problems.

Could you fscking read what you've replied to?  Your -=1 will turn 0
into 0xffff instead of correct 0xfffe.  IOW, it's broken in 1:65536
cases.

I looked again at your previous email:

Note that even on little-endian you want
        3 -> 2
        2 -> 1
        1 -> 0xffff
        0 -> 0xfffe

That doesn't look right to me, but I'll take your word that there's one edge case out there I don't see (even though this worked on Alpha). Forget about the patch then.

-Brian