From: Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:58:35 -0800

> The more robust way would be to stop the queue (like flow control)
> and return busy. You would need a timer though to handle the case
> where some disk i/o stole all the mappings and then network device flow
> blocked.

You need some kind of fairness, yes, that's why I suggested a
callback.  When your DMA allocation fails, you get into the rear of
the FIFO, when a free occurs, we callback starting from the head of
the FIFO.  You don't get removed from the FIFO unless at least one of
your DMA allocation retries succeed.