David Stevens wrote:
I've looked at this a little too -- it'd be nice to know who holds
the write lock.

I see ip_mc_destroy_dev() is bouncing through the lock for
each multicast address, though it starts at the beginning of
the list each time. I don't see a problem with it, but it'd be
simpler if it acquired the write lock once, grabbed and nulled
the list, released the lock and then called igmp_group_dropped()
& ip_ma_put() on each address from the local list copy.

Are you destroying/creating interfaces or doing a lot of multicasting at
the time? How many group memberships do you have?

Lots and lots of interfaces were being created...at least 200 mac-vlans (out-of
tree patch
somewhat similar to 802.1q vlans.)  The avahi-daemon process was running, and
it appears
to be adding a multicast to each interface.  It was spewing failure messages in
/var/log/messages,
probably because it can't handle so many interfaces.

Other than that, there is no (known) multicast traffic being generated.

This bug was reported to me by a user in Australia, and we have not yet
attempted to recreate this locally, so I am not certain exactly what it
takes to trigger this bug.

Thanks,
Ben

                                        +-DLS