|  > previous code had the form (this is copied from 2.6.17-mm1 original):
|  >
|  >                    size = 0;
|  >                    sk_for_each(sk2, node, list)
|  >                            if (++size >= best_size_so_far)
|  >                                    goto next;
|  >                    best_size_so_far = size;
|  >                    best = result;
|  >            next:;
|  >
|  > |  and this got converted into:
|  > |
|  > |                          sk_for_each(sk2, node, head)
|  > |                                  if (++size < best_size_so_far) {
|  > |                                          best_size_so_far = size;
|  > |                                          best = result;
|  > |                                  }
|  > |
|  > |  Which does something very very different from the original.
|  >
|  > ===> Sorry, I fail to see where the two differ. They have the same
postcondition
|  >      upon loop exit; sk2, node, size, and head are not referenced anywhere
in the
|  >      code that follows.
|  >

|  Please go buy a pair of glasses then :-)
|
|  They are not at all the same.  Consider in what circumstances the two
|  variables "best_size_so_far" and "best" get updated in the two cases,
|  it's massively different.
|
|  You _ALWAYS_ update those two variables in your version if the loop
|  executes at least once, that's wrong and that's not what the original
|  code was trying to do.
|
|  It ONLY wants to update those two variables when we walk
|  a complete hash chain which is smaller than "best_size_so_far".
|
|  The fact that you continue to try and defend your version shows
|  that you really had no idea what you were doing when you made this
|  change.
|
|  You added an exploitable hole to our UDP protocol implementation
|  because you didn't understand this snippet of code and wanted to
|  'clean up the logic'.

You are right, I made a stupid error by considering a single construct out of
context.

I only understood fully what you were saying above after doing a lengthy
paper-and-pencil
analysis of the entire algorithm: the exploit is in the assignment of `best', I
was arguing
about `best_size_so_far', which is of no consequence here.

I apologise for the regression that this caused - in future submissions I make
sure that I
do the paper and pencil analysis before. Thanks for patience with the
explanation.