Eric Dumazet writes:

 > Well, maybe... but after looking robert's trash, I discovered its model is
 > essentially a big (2^18 slots) root node (our hash table), and very few
 > order:1,2,3 nodes.

 It's getting "hashlike" yes. I guess all effective algorithms today is doing
 some sort of "index" lookup and for large number of entries we cannot expect
 to find the next node in the same cache line so the "tree depth" becomes a
 crucial performance factor. IMO nothing can beat a prefect distributed and
 perfect sized hash. The trash work is an effort to get close with dynamic
 data structure.

 Cheers
                                                --ro