On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 12:53:20PM +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> The aim of "NUSE" from applications point of view would be to be
> indistinguishable from kernel implemented services.
>
> What would this require from the service hook side ?
>   - Socket read and write can be trivialishly done
>     like a pipe in between processes
>   - Somehow pass ancilliary data for:
>      - socket, socketpair
>      - connect, bind
>      - accept
>      - listen
>      - getpeername, getsockname
>      - sendto, send
>      - recvfrom, revc
>      - setsockopt, getsockopt
>   - poll / epoll ?

It is certainly possible to do this by implementing your own socket
family.  I did such a thing as infrastructure for talking to network
processors in a former life.  In that case the socket code was talking
to other kernel code, but getting it to coordinate w/ userland is
largely a SMOP.  You might consider using (generic?) netlink for
your backend communications to the userland daemon.  In addition,
there might be other kernel extensions required (e.g. dynamic socket
family allocation?).

> Death of the protocol engine process must also destroy all existing
> sockets of the served protocol type, and refuse to generate any new
> sockets of the type.

That's up to you (or whomever implements the kernel code).

> The first protocol that I have in mind to implement on top of this service
> does not need very much of local sockets.
> (It is called "STANAG-5066" - radio data communication on HF frequencies.
> Specification is written by NATO, thus "STANAG", but my use plans for it
> are more along the AX.25 ham-radio things.)

Nifty. :-)

John
--
John W. Linville