On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 10:26 AM Ariel Levkovich <lar...@mellanox.com> wrote:
> However I believe that from a concept point of view, using it is wrong.
>
> In my honest opinion, the concept here is to perform some calculation on
> the packet itself and its headers while the skb->hash field
>
> is the storage location of the calculation result (in SW).

With skbedit, you don't have to pass a value either, whatever you
pass to your act_hash, you can pass it to skbedit too. In your case,
it seems to be an algorithm name.

You can take a look at SKBEDIT_F_INHERITDSFIELD, it calculates
skb->priority from headers, not passed from user-space.

> Furthermore, looking forward to HW offload support, the HW devices will
> be offloading the hash calculation and
>
> not rewriting skb metadata fields. Therefore the action should be the
> hash, not skbedit.

Not sure if this makes sense, whatever your code under case
TCA_HASH_ALG_L4 can be just moved to skbedit. I don't see
how making it standalone could be different for HW offloading.

> Another thing that I can mention, which is kind of related to what I
> wrote above, is that for all existing skbedit supported fields,
>
> user typically provides a desired value of his choosing to set to a skb
> metadata field.

Again, no one forces this rule. Please feel free to adjust it for your needs.

Thanks.