On 3/13/07, Jesse Brandeburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
acme, good stuff, but does the " * 4" generate equivalent assembly
with gcc 3/4 as " << 2" ?

I could assume that the compiler would be smart enough, but every time
I assume I know what the compiler is doing I get myself in trouble.

nevermind, I wrote a program myself to test it (which I should have
done first).  with x86-64 gcc 3.4.6 or 4.1.0 it always comes out to
shl 2, %eax

etc, sorry for the noise.