Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Avi Kivity <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

so right now the only option for a clean codebase is the KVM in-kernel code.
I strongly disagree with this.

are you disagreeing with my statement that the KVM kernel-side code is the only clean codebase here? To me this is a clear fact :)

No, I agree with that. I just disagree with choosing to put the *pic code (or other code) into the kernel on *that* basis. The selection should be on design/performance issues alone, *not* the state of existing code.

I only pointed out that the only clean codebase at the moment is the KVM in-kernel code - i did not make the argument (at all) that every new piece of KVM code should be done in the kernel. That would be stupid - do you think i'd advocate for example moving command line argument parsing into the kernel?

No. But the difference in cruftiness between kvm and qemu code should not enter into the discussion of where to do things.

and as i said in the mail: "the kernel _is_ the best place to do this particular stuff".

I agree with this, maybe for different reasons.