Rusty Russell wrote:
You didn't quote Anthony's point about "it's more about there not being
good enough userspace interfaces to do network IO."

It's easier to write a kernel-space network driver, but it's not
obviously the right thing to do until we can show that an efficient
packet-level userspace interface isn't possible.  I don't think that's
been done, and it would be interesting to try.

In the case of networking, the copyful interfaces on receive are driven by the hardware not knowing how to split the header from the data. On transmit I agree, it could be made copyless from userspace (somthing like sendfilev, only not file oriented).

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.