Loic Prylli wrote:
On 4/30/2007 2:12 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

Speaking of defaults, it would seem that the external 1.2.0 driver comes with 9000 bytes as the default MTU? At least I think that is what I am seeing now that I've started looking more closely.

rick jones

That's the same for the in-kernel-tree code (9K MTU by default). Assuming this is not wanted, I will submit a patch for that.

While I like what that does for perrformance, and at the risk of putting words into the mouths of netdev, I suspect that 1500 bytes is indeed the desired default. It matches the IEEE specs, I've yet to see a switch which enabled "Jumbo Frames" by default, not everything out there even believes that Jubmo Frames means 9000 byte MTU etc etc etc. I think that 1500 bytes for an "Ethernet" device remains in line with the principle of least surprise.

rick jones