On 11/24/2020 11:16 PM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 02:14:59 +0100 Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:19:56AM +0200, Moshe Shemesh wrote:
Add support for new cable module type DSFP (Dual Small Form-Factor Pluggable
transceiver). DSFP EEPROM memory layout is compatible with CMIS 4.0 spec. Add
CMIS 4.0 module type to UAPI and implement DSFP EEPROM dump in mlx5.
So the patches themselves look O.K.

But we are yet again kicking the can down the road and not fixing the
underlying inflexibility of the API.

Do we want to keep kicking the can, or is now the time to do the work
on this API?
This is hardly rocket science. Let's do it right.

OK, we will add API options to select bank and page to read any specific page the user selects. So advanced user will use it get the optional pages he needs, but what about non advanced user who wants to use the current API with a current script for DSFP EEPROM. Isn't it better that he will get the 5 mandatory pages then keep it not supported ?