On 2021-02-01 1:50 PM, Florian Westphal wrote:
Roi Dayan <r...@nvidia.com> wrote:
There is a 3rd caller nf_ct_gc_expired() which being called by 3
other callers:
____nf_conntrack_find()
nf_conntrack_tuple_taken()
early_drop_list()

Hm. I'm not sure yet what path is triggering this bug.

Florian came up with the idea of setting a very large timeout for
offloaded flows (that are refreshed by the garbage collector) to avoid
the extra check from the packet path, so those 3 functions above never
hit the garbage collection path. This also applies for the ctnetlink
(conntrack -L) and the /proc/net/nf_conntrack sysctl paths that the
patch describes, those should not ever see an offloaded flow with a
small timeout.

nf_ct_offload_timeout() is called from:

#1 flow_offload_add() to set a very large timer.
#2 the garbage collector path, to refresh the timeout the very large
     offload timer.

Probably there is a race between setting the IPS_OFFLOAD and when
flow_offload_add() is called? Garbage collector gets in between and
zaps the connection. Is a newly offloaded connection that you observed
that is being removed?

yes. the flows being removed are newly offloaded connections.

If they are new, how can they be timed out already?

TCP initial timeout is one minute, UDP 30 seconds.
That should surely be enough to do flow_offload_add (which extends
the timeout)?

Yes, flow_offload_add() extends the timeout. but it needs to finish.

Maybe something is doing flow_offload_add() for unconfirmed conntrack?

In unconfirmed conntrack case, ct->timeout is absolute timeout value, e.g. for
tcp it will be set to 60 * HZ.

When I hit the issue I printed jiffies and ct->timeout and saw they are
the same or very close but not an absolute number.

conntrack confirmation adds jiffies32 to it to make it relative
to current time (this is before insertion into the conntrack table,
so GC isn't supposed to happen before this).

We hit this issue before more easily and pushed this fix

4203b19c2796 netfilter: flowtable: Set offload timeout when adding flow

That commit changed flow_offload_add() to extend ct timeout because on
we noticed on busy systems GC didn't finish a full iteration on all
conns and conns were cleaned.
I think we might have the same issue.

tcf_ct_flow_table_add() set the offload bit and calls flow_offload_add()

We do know the offload bit is set when conn it deleted, so we hit the
issue where timeout being tested after tcf_ct_flow_table_add() was called but before ct timeout was fixed. so flow_offload_add() didn't
finish and GC didn't start, or did start but did not finish full
iteration.

In any case adding test for the offload bit seems to be papering over
invalid/broken ct->timeout value.