Hello,

I'm trying to use this new API for my LinuxPPS support but I have some
difficulties in understanding the code!

Looking at http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Generic_Netlink_HOWTO
is not clear... for example in line:

   msg_head = genlmsg_put(skb, pid, seq, type, 0, flags, DOC_EXMPL_C_ECHO, 1);

what "pid", "seq", "type" and "flags" stand for?

It could be possible to have a little kernel module implementing the
ECHO function as example to compile and test?

Again, I read in a message from Jamal Hadi Salim regarding Kernel <
--> User space Communication that:

 Essentially nothing new, Communication is as in standard netlink
 approach.  i.e from user space you open a netlink socket to the
 kernel - in this case family NETLINK_GENERIC - and send and receive
 response as well as asynchronous events.  To receive to events you
 subscribe to specific multicast groups.

So I suppose I can modify a little my userland programs using old API
in order to support this new API. Is that right?

Thanks,

Rodolfo

--

GNU/Linux Solutions                  e-mail:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Linux Device Driver                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]