Patrick McHardy wrote:
Ben Greear wrote:
This should also be useful with the pending 'veth' driver, as it
emulates two ethernet ports connected with a cross-over cable.

To make this work, you have to enable the sysctl (look Dave,
no IOCTLS, there might be hope for me yet!! :)), and in your
application you will need to use SO_BINDTODEVICE (and probably bind to
the local IP as well).  Some applications such as traceroute already
support this binding..others such as ping do not.

You most likely will also have to set up routing tables using
source IPs as a rule to direct these connections to a particular
routing table.

Comments welcome.

I would really prefer to simply make the prio 0 "lookup local"
rule deletable so you can rules with higher priority. That
allows to do send to self without any further code changes
and avoids the need to bind applications to a device.
I am not against making that change as well, but it is often easier to just bind-to-device than to set up specific host routes for every possible combination..as it appears your method requires. (I could have mis-understood the routing requirements, but it seemed to if you wanted any 100 interfaces to send to any other, your method would required 100 * 100
routes.)

A decent set of programs already support bind-to-device, and others are easily patched
if they need the behaviour.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com