Eric W. Biederman wrote:
I'm trying to understand what the point of this patch is.

In once sense I find the concept of filtering and listening for multiple
mac addresses very interesting, especially if we could break out different
streams of traffic by destination mac address into separate network devices.
This would remove the need to any kind of ethernet tunnel and makes multiple
network namespaces much more pleasant.

However this just seems to allow a card to decode multiple mac addresses
which in some oddball load balancing configurations may actually be
useful, but it seems fairly limited.

Do you have a specific use case you envision for this multiple mac
functionality?

Yes, please see the MACVLAN patch I posted one or two days earlier.
8021q can also make use of it and Dave mentioned some virtualization
devices want this as well.