Hello Jason,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2024 at 8:21 AM Jason Wang <jasow...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2024 at 7:51 PM Heng Qi <hen...@linux.alibaba.com> wrote:

> > > Heng, is my assuption correct here? Thanks!
> > >

> > Maybe, according to our cloud data, napi_tx=on works better than orphan
> > mode in
> > most scenarios. Although orphan mode performs better in specific benckmark,
>
> For example pktgen (I meant even if the orphan mode can break pktgen,
> it can finish when there's a new packet that needs to be sent after
> pktgen is completed).
>
> > perf of napi_tx can be enhanced through tx dim. Then, there is no reason
> > not to
> > support dim for devices that want the best performance.
>
> Ideally, if we can drop orphan mode, everything would be simplified.

Please please don't do this. Orphan mode still has its merits. In some
cases which can hardly be reproduced in production, we still choose to
turn off the napi_tx mode because the delay of freeing a skb could
cause lower performance in the tx path, which is, I know, surely
designed on purpose.

If the codes of orphan mode don't have an impact when you enable
napi_tx mode, please keep it if you can.

Thank you.