Andrew Morton wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 14:39:20 -0700
"Kok, Auke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That's why we want to introduce a second e1000 driver (named differently, pick any name) that contains the new code base, side-by-side into the kernel with the current e1000.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me (it has plenty of precedent).  But
I forget what all the other issues were, so ignore me.

Given past history with duplicate drivers and the problems that they cause -- I know, I've caused some of those problems :( -- I strongly recommend against when it can be avoided.

Leaving e1000 with current hardware, and a new e1001 for newer hardware should be easier to manage for all involved, without the headaches that duplicate drivers cause.

An "e1001" approach also means we have a much greater chance of encouraging Intel down the path of clean driver-ness.

        Jeff