Andi Kleen wrote:
Brice Goglin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I am trying to understand whether I can setup a skb destructor in my
code (which is basically a protocol above dev_queue_xmit() and co). From
what I see in many parts in the current kernel code, the "protocol" (I
mean, the one who actually creates the skb) may setup a destructor.

The socket layer generally needs it for its own accounting.
Unless you never pass it up you can't use it.

However, I also see some places where some low-level drivers might be
using a destructor too , without apparently checking whether an upper
layer already uses one. For instance, write_ofld_wr() in cxgb3/sge.c.

Likely a bug. Normally that should not slip past code review.

Andi,

The destructor method is set and used for skbs originating from the RDMA driver sitting above cxgb3.

The patch introducing this code was discussed at the time.
http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=117029329230969&w=2

Cheers,
Divy