On 8/20/07, Dirk wrote:
>> So it seems that when the driver tries to queue a packet while the
>> controller is busy processing the queue, the newly queued packet does
>> not get noticed by the controller (until further packet activity occurs).
>> Perhaps there is a problem with the memory barriers when adding to the
>> TX queue, but I'm a newbie on linux kernel memory barriers.
>
>One thing I noticed a while ago (march) is that floodpinging (ping -f)
>the r8169 host from an external system also increases performance
>without changing code.
Yes, I just tried this and saw the same result. Makes perfect sense - if the TX queue is normally getting stuck until TCP retransmits, then keeping the TX queue busy keeps the queue from remaining stuck. I think this is a good demonstration that the underlying problem is a stuck TX queue as suggested.

>I ended up (until now perhaps :-) with disabling the onboard nic and
>adding an e1000 card.

Yes, ditching the realtek interface and going with an ad-on nic seems to be what everyone has been doing to get around this problem. Perhaps you'd like to try the busy-wait workaround with ndelay(10)? It has saved me from buying an e1000 card as well.

Speaking of the e1000, I notice that its TX queue processing code for that driver includes spin_lock_irqsave()/spin_unlock_irqrestore() protection on access to the queue. The r8169 driver seems to be missing equivalent code. Last time I dealt with kernel locking bugs was in the old days of splnet()/splx(), so I could use some help here, but I suspect this could be fixed with more careful locking.