On Mon, 2007-03-09 at 20:20 -0700, Mandeep Singh Baines wrote:

> I didn't see much saving in interrupts on my machine (too fast, I guess).

You could try the idea suggested by Dave earlier and just turn interupts
for every nth packet. That should cut down the numbers.

> I did see a significant boost to tx performance by optimizing start_xmit: more
> than double pps in pktgen.

148Kpps on a slow piece of hardware aint bad - Good Stuff. I wonder how
much CPU is being abused.

If you wanna go one extra mile (separate future patch): get rid of that
tx lock and use netif_tx_lock on the interupt path. Look at some sane
driver like tg3 for reference.

cheers,
jamal