jamal wrote:
On Fri, 2007-21-09 at 08:43 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

I just re-read the spec, and a bridge *may* pad up to 68, but it is not required.
On page 166, it says equipment must be able to handle 64 byte minimums.

See page 22 (section 7.2) of this document:

http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.1Q-1998.pdf

Also, page 63, 165, 166

Thanks for the enlightnment. Do we need an ethtool interface to turn off hardware accelerated vlans?
Jesse is indicating that the intel hardware can only handle the MUST but
not the SHOULD of the spec.
Actually a more basic question: Can you select one or the other mode in
the software based vlans?

It's not even clear to me that it's a Should..more like a 'May', for what
thats worth.

As for using the software stack, I don't think we are padding to 68 in
the soft vlans either...

It would be nice to have an ethtool to turn off hw vlans for other reasons,
like sniffing vlan tags, at least...

You cannot select hw v/s soft vlans...the code always uses hw-accel if it's
available, as far as I know.

Thanks,
Ben

cheers,