David, all.  My apologies. I'm tired and I don't have the energy to
grok yet another part of the kernel right now.  So I can not
productively participate in this discussion.

I do agree that the locking below dev_unicast_add() that was exposed
by the macvlan driver is unmaintainable even if it is currently
correct.

I don't see any fundamental problems with adding a might_sleep(),
ASSERT_RTNL.

I just don't have the energy to audit everything I feel I would have
to audit to be comfortable taking responsibility for adding the
might_sleep() or fixing the locking in dev_unicast_add() (which seems
more important).

So again my apologies.  This is all beyond what I can deal with at the moment.

Eric