Ben Greear wrote:
Ariane Keller wrote:
I thought about that as well, but in my opinion this does not help much.
It's the same as before: in average every 10ms a new buffer needs to be filled.
But, you can fill 50 or 100 at a time, so if user-space is delayed for a few ms, the kernel still has plenty of buffers to work with until user-space gets another chance. I'm not worried about average thoughput of user-space to kernel, just random
short-term starvation.

Yes, for short-term starvation it helps certainly.
But I'm still not convinced that it is really necessary to add more buffers, because I'm not sure whether the bottleneck is really the loading of data from user space to kernel space. Some basic tests have shown that the kernel starts loosing packets at approximately the same packet rate regardless whether we use netem, or netem with the trace extension. But if you have contrary experience I'm happy to add a parameter which defines the number of buffers.

Thanks!