On Wednesday, January 02, 2008 17:24, Jay Vosburgh wrote:
>       What advantage does this have over:
>
> # echo +bond5 > /sys/class/net/bonding_masters
>
>       which will create a new bonding master for the already-loaded driver?

The advantage is that you can load multiple instances of the bonding driver and
control the name of the bond interface that will be created. Normally the bond
interface name would take the next available number.

In our startup scripts we need to be able to ensure that the interface name is
consistent across reboots. Sometimes bond1 may be brought up before bond0 and
it may have different options (requiring a different instance of the bonding
driver).

I understand that the startup scripts could be modified to account for this,
however we also have an IOS like interface to an embedded system where the user
can create new bond interfaces and specify the interface number, they may
create interfaces out of order and this feature enables them to accomplish that.

Jari