When parsing the -P option in scan_socket_args() of src/nettest_bsd.c, netperf is using "break_args()" from src/netsh.c which indeed if the command line says "-P 12345" will set both the local and remote port numbers to 12345. If instead you were to say "-P 12345," it will use 12345 only for the netperf side. If you say "-P ,12345" it will use 12345 only for the netserver side. To set both sides at once to different values it would be "-P 12345,54321"

In theory, send_udp_rr() in src/nettest_bsd.c (or I suppose scan_socket_args() could have more code added to it to check for a UDP test over loopback, but probably needs to be a check for any local IP, and unless this becomes something bigger than "Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!" :) I'm inclined to leave it as caveat benchmarker and perhaps some additional text in the manual.

rick jones