On 5/18/15, 1:19 PM, David Miller wrote:
From: Roopa Prabhu <ro...@cumulusnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 16:42:05 -0700

On most systems where you can offload routes to hardware,
doing routing in software is not an option (the cpu limitations
make routing impossible in software).
You absolutely do not get to determine this policy, none of us
do.

What matters is that by default the damn switch device being there
is %100 transparent to the user.

And the way to achieve that default is to do software routes as
a fallback.

I am not going to entertain changes of this nature which fail
route loading by default just because we've exceeded a device's
HW capacity to offload.

I thought I was _really_ clear about this at netdev 0.1
sorry if i missed you emphasize this.
Current fib hw offload code aborts hw offload on the first hw offload failure and moves all routes to software and before 4.1 goes out I was trying to revisit this because the existing defaults will not work for most devices. To that effect, i started with an RFC patch to get some current thoughts and hence this patch.

I will follow up on the other options mentioned in the comment.