Le 09/06/2015 12:15, Thomas Graf a écrit :
On 06/08/15 at 11:35am, Shrijeet Mukherjee wrote:
[...]
model with some performance paths that need optimization. (Specifically
the output route selector that Roopa, Robert, Thomas and EricB are
currently discussing on the MPLS thread)

Thanks for posting these patches just in time. This explains how
you intent to deploy Roopa's patches in a scalable manner.

High Level points

1. Simple overlay driver (minimal changes to current stack)
    * uses the existing fib tables and fib rules infrastructure
2. Modelled closely after the ipvlan driver
3. Uses current API and infrastructure.
    * Applications can use SO_BINDTODEVICE or cmsg device indentifiers
      to pick VRF (ping, traceroute just work)

I like the aspect of reusing existing user interfaces. We might
need to introduce a more fine grained capability than CAP_NET_RAW
to give containers the privileges to bind to a VRF without
allowing them to inject raw frames.

Given I understand this correctly: If my intent was to run a
process in multiple VRFs, then I would need to run that process
in the host network namespace which contains the VRF devices
which would also contain the physical devices. While I might want
to grant my process the ability to bind to VRFs, I may not want
to give it the privileges to bind to any device. So we could
consider introducing CAP_NET_VRF which would allow to bind to
VRF devices.

If I understand correctly, all existing applications should also be modified
if I want to run them into a VRF/MRF (see my previous email)?

ssh, dhcp, httpd, etc should be runnable per MRF without modifications of
their source code. So, it becomes a netns. What's about an IKE dameon?

It makes sense to have both: netns and MRF ; each can have their own logics
of VRF-like behavior depending on how a VRF is defined by the end users.