On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08:35PM -0700, Scott Feldman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:43 PM,  <anurad...@cumulusnetworks.com> wrote:
> > From: Anuradha Karuppiah <anurad...@cumulusnetworks.com>
> >
> > User space daemons can detect errors in the network that need to be
> > notified to the switch device drivers.
> >
> > Drivers can react to this error state by doing a phy-down on the
> > switch-port which would result in a carrier-off locally and on the directly
> > connected switch. Doing that would prevent loops and black-holes in the
> > network.
>
> Hi Anuradha,
>
> Since this is a switch-thingy, can you move this to switchdev port
> attribute rather than adding another ndo op?  I know you started this
> patch set before switchdev port attrs, but I think it's worthwhile
> moving it to switchdev since clearly the use-case is switch device
> drivers.   Let me know if you need help converting over to switchdev
> port attr.

If it is switchdev-only that would prevent people from using commodity
hardware (classic servers + NICs) from being able to build something
similar to what can be done with rocker.

It is a fact that many smaller providers build forwarding devices like
this, so I'd hate to limit functionality to just switchdev-based
devices.

My vote would be to keep this as a base netdev function as proposed.