> On Sep 1, 2015, at 8:17 PM, Tom Herbert <t...@herbertland.com> wrote:
>
> I suspect this is not UDP-encapsulation specific, will it work with
> TCP/IP/IP, TCP/IP/GRE etc.?

It could do more, but this is what has been tested up to this point.

> Isn't there anyway the ixgbe could just be made to NETIF_HW_CSUM? That
> would be so much more straightforward and support nearly all use cases
> without needing to jump through all these hoops.

Well, the description says:

 ---
Note: NETIF_F_HW_CSUM is a superset of NETIF_F_IP_CSUM + NETIF_F_IPV6_CSUM.
It means that device can fill TCP/UDP-like checksum anywhere in the packets
whatever headers there might be.
 ---

The device can't do whatever, wherever. There is always a limit to the offset
to the inner headers that can be handled, for instance.

--
Mark Rustad, Networking Division, Intel Corporation