>On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 08:24:51PM +0200, casper....@oracle.com wrote:
>
>> The external behaviour atomic; you cannot distinguish the order
>> between the closing of the original file (and waking up other threads
>> waiting for a record lock) or changing the file referenced by that newfd.
>>
>> But this not include a global or process specific lock.
>
>Interesting...  Do you mean that decriptor-to-file lookup blocks until that
>rundown finishes?

For that particular file descriptor, yes.  (I'm assuming you mean the
Solaris kernel running down all lwps who have a system in progress on that
particular file descriptor).  All other fd to file lookups are not blocked
at all by this locking.

It should be clear that any such occurrences are application errors and
should be hardly ever seen in practice.  It is also known when this is
needed so it is hardly even attempted.

Casper