On 11/10/2015 11:52 PM, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
         if (sock->type == SOCK_DGRAM) {
-               err = dev_hard_header(skb, dev, ntohs(proto), addr,
-                               NULL, tp_len);
+               /* In DGRAM sockets, we expect struct sockaddr_ll was filled
+                * via struct msghdr, so we have dest mac and skb->protocol.
+                * Otherwise there's not too much useful things we can do in
+                * this flush run.
+                */
+               err = dev_hard_header(skb, dev, ntohs(skb->protocol), addr,
+                                     NULL, tp_len);

This change is not really necessary.

Sure agreed, I found it helpful though. Don't mind removing it.

                 if (unlikely(err < 0))
                         return -EINVAL;
-       } else if (dev->hard_header_len) {

Why remove the check on hard_header_len?

Hmm, the patch doesn't remove the check (it's moved further below).

-               if (ll_header_truncated(dev, tp_len))
-                       return -EINVAL;
+       } else {
+               /* If skb->protocol is still 0, try to infer/guess it. Might
+                * not be fully reliable in the sense that a user could still
+                * change/race data afterwards, but on the other hand the proto

The race goes away when probing it after the copy in skb_store_bits.
Then it is also certain that tp_len is long enough to hold the entire
link layer header.

The skb_store_bits() is only done in case we do have a dev->hard_header_len
or in case where we run into a possible situation where we have the additional
4 bytes on a full frame. In that case we need to check them properly, which
requires copying, otherwise we don't copy any header.

+                * can be set arbitrarily anyways. We only need to take care
+                * in case of extra large VLAN frames.
+               if (!skb->protocol && tp_len >= ETH_HLEN)
+                       skb->protocol = ((struct ethhdr *)data)->h_proto;

Packet sockets are not restricted to link layer of type Ethernet.

There are a few other points in this file that also cast mac header
to eth_hdr(skb).

Ok, the set doesn't address this assumption which we have elsewhere, too.
Do you suggest to also check on dev->type for these cases?

Thanks,
Daniel