On 10/12/15 16:26, Tom Herbert wrote:
> It sounds like potentially interesting work. You'll probably want my patches
> that provider helper functions that allow a driver to verify that it can
> offload a checksum. We'll have to update those also to allow two checksums.
I have just realised something startling.  Assuming the inner protocol uses the
ones complement checksum in the way IP, UDP and TCP do, the outer checksum can
be computed *without looking at the payload*.  Why?  Because the ones
complement sum of (say) a correctly checksummed UDP datagram is simply the
complement of the ones complement sum of the pseudo header.  Similarly, the
ones complement sum of a correctly checksummed IP header is zero.
Therefore, the outer checksum depends _only_ on the inner and outer pseudo
headers and the encapsulation headers.  For example, with UDP encapsulated in
VXLAN, we have the following packet structure:
ETH IP UDP VXLAN inner-ETH inner-IP inner-UDP PAYLOAD
and the outer checksum equals
~([outer_pseudo] + [UDP] + [VXLAN] + [inner-ETH] + ~[inner_pseudo])
where [] denotes summation, and all addition is ones complement.
This can easily be computed in software, especially as the stack already has
~[inner_pseudo]: it's stored in the inner checksum field to help inner checksum
offload.

Have I made a mistake in my ones-complement maths, or is outer checksum offload
as unnecessary as IP header checksum offload?