On 2/22/16, 10:31 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> From: Jiri Pirko <j...@mellanox.com>
>
> Introduce devlink infrastructure for drivers to register and expose to
> userspace via generic Netlink interface.
>
> There are two basic objects defined:
> devlink - one instance for every "parent device", for example switch ASIC
> devlink port - one instance for every physical port of the device.

Like i have expressed earlier, the only thing that bothers me here is that we
are creating a new devlink object for switch port when there
is an existing netdev object.

Is there a chance that the drivers you are targeting can still create netdevs
for physical ports ?
It would make things so much more consistent and simpler to manage without a
cost of adding yet another interface.

The port splitter support is needed at the netdev api too (ie rtnetlink). Most
switchdev drivers that expose netdevs
would benefit from a native 'ip link' way to configure port splitting. This
will be useful for nic drivers too.

thanks,
Roopa