Hi Daniel,

On 16-02-22 11:47 AM, Daniel Borkmann wrote:
Hi Jamal,

On 02/22/2016 02:21 PM, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
From: Jamal Hadi Salim <j...@mojatatu.com>

As agreed at netconf in Seville, here's the patch finally (1 year
was just too long to wait).
Described in netdev01 paper:
             "Distributing Linux Traffic Control Classifier-Action
Subsystem"
              Authors: Jamal Hadi Salim and Damascene M. Joachimpillai

Allows for incremental updates for new metadatum support.
This patch set includes support for basic skb metadatum
Followup patches will have more examples of metadata

So, basically this is a L2 encap with TLVs, right?

And as TLVs you have skb->mark, skb->priority, skb->hash,
skb->queue_mapping
that you transfer from one machine to another, where on the destination,
you
are applying the above meta data to the skb itself. And, configuration
is via
tc.

I couldn't parse from the commit log what the real world use case is, resp.
who is going to use this infrastructure?

Do you have some typical setup, where the above needs to be transferred
in the
encap and restored?

I am assuming you are asking this for the sake of people who dont
have context (and not for yourself)?
I added a pointer to the paper. It is 6 pages and simple to read.
Isnt that sufficient? I dont want to write a novel here. Some could
argue that in fact i am already writing a novel in commit 1/5.

Jamal Hadi Salim (5):
   introduce IFE action
   Support to encoding decoding skb mark on IFE action
   Support to encoding decoding skb prio on IFE action
   Support to encoding decoding skb hashid on IFE action
   Support to encoding decoding skb queue map on IFE action

  include/net/tc_act/tc_ife.h        |  60 +++
  include/uapi/linux/tc_act/tc_ife.h |  38 ++
  net/sched/Kconfig                  |  32 ++
  net/sched/Makefile                 |   5 +
  net/sched/act_ife.c                | 865
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  net/sched/act_meta_mark.c          |  81 ++++
  net/sched/act_meta_qmap.c          | 100 +++++
  net/sched/act_meta_skbhash.c       |  87 ++++
  net/sched/act_meta_skbprio.c       |  80 ++++

Splitting these set/get functions into individual modules where you only
set/get a single skb member seems overkill to me. Could be done with a
simple switch statement inside ife?

They need to be separated to make them unique. These are basic
metadatum; I have a few others lined up - but i just wanted to start
with these because they are obvious to see. What i mulled over is
to send one big patch or several. In the end it seemed cleaner to
send separate patches.

Thanks for your other input - I will redo, test and submit v2.

cheers,
jamal