On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:43:15PM +0200, Nigel Kukard wrote:

> is dropping packets the proper way to slow down traffic on a network?

TCP traffic, yes that would work.  The other way is to hold on to the
packets and send them out at the rate you desire but that takes a lot
of work, so I am sure some (most?) implementations just drop packets
until the TCP algorithms calculate the bandwidth (allowed) on the pipe.

> (using the bytelimit match). i have somone who is complaining that
> as soon as he tries to transfer mass amounts of data with scp, the
> connection is dropped. he is using freebsd, could this be the problem?

What does "dropped" mean?  Somebody TCP_RESETs?  Packet dropping
should not cause a connection to "drop".  Packet dropping is a normal
occurance on some network mediums and is completely expected by TCP.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell