Hi Everybody,
How are you all? I've been taking a look at the iptables code recently and
have decided I am going to undertake a hardware implementation of the
IPtables code. This would involve porting parts of the iptables code to VHDL
using a high level language such as HandleC. I just want to ask everybodys
opionion on this and whether or not you think its a good idea or not. I
think its is because if you can implement what was previously a software
solution at hardware speeds, them you can reduce latency in filtering
packets. I'd like to so as much work as I can on the one machine but I think
I'm going to have to use a linux router implementation at some stage. What I
have is an FPGA on a PCI card and the Celoxica DK1 developer suite. If I can
identify what code lends it self well to parralelism, I will port this to
HandelC/VHDL and hock in the original C code
I'd be greatfull if you can let me know your opinion,
cheers,
Aiden