On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 03:37:25PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 02:52:12PM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 12:05:40PM +0200, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > It is a strange idea I know, but I'd be interested in what the opinion of
> > > the core netfilter developers is on porting the whole netfilter subsystem to
> > > Solaris?
> >
> > After my netfilter presentation at linuxtag, somebody was asking me exactly
> > this question.
>
> And your answer was?

what a weird idea. I told him that it is technically not easy and the core
team certainly has no plans of ever supporting this thing. I didn't even start
to talk about licensing issues.

> > This is basically the same question like binary-only kernel modules.
>
> I think it is more similar to Gimp plugins under Photoshop case.

I'm not aware of this case - we are not talking about .so's [libraries]
being linked to an application, which is what the GPL is talking about.

> Under binary-only you mean propriatery, or something nonGPLd? Solaris kernel
> source _is_ available, though it doesn't use the GPL.

well, source is available if you sign some very interesting license conditions,
IIRC.  Anyway, this is not important.  When I was talking about proprietary
or binary-only, I should have said: GPL-incompatible.

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://www.gnumonks.org/