Henrik Nordstrom writes:
 > On Monday 08 July 2002 23.30, Don Cohen wrote:
 >
 > > I figure it hardly matters whether I do the analogous thing for
 > > proto, since it's so short.
 >
 > Actually you could consider proto almost a constant.. I don't think
 > you really gain anything by obfuscating this.. just adding it to the
 > result to make sure different protocols hash into different buckets
 > should suffice just fine me thinks.. but sure, being paranoid does
 > not hurt other than CPU time.. but it should be allowed to influence
 > the hash value.
I agree it's just trying to err on the side of caution.
It's nearly constant in non-attack traffic, but it's something over
which the attacker has total control.
I admit I don't see how he can befefit from knowing that E=1.

 > Related note: You only have sport/dport for known protocols such as
 > TCP/UDP/ICMP. On unknown protocols (proto_generic tracking)
 > sport/dport will be all 0, meaning there is only one single conntrack
 > entry per sip/dip/proto tuple for such protocols..
Ok.  The attacker then does not control the port values supplied to
the hash, which can only benefit us.