On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 08:59:27AM +0200, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Pablo Neira Ayuso <pa...@netfilter.org> wrote:
> > What is the usecase for this? Please don't tell me the obvious the
> > answer: I just want to know what process has modified what.
> >
> > If the point is to know if someone else, not myself as a process, has
> > modified the ruleset, that is very easy to know with the netlink
> > infrastructure.
>
> Yes, thats in fact more important than 'know what process has modified
> what', although I think it would be nice from a debug-point of view,
> i.e.
>
> $self adds a rule
> something else adds a rule at same time
>
> How can $self learn/know the handle assigned by kernel?
>
> The larger picture is to start thinking in direction of libnft,
> i.e. get the groundwork going so we don't have to tell 3rd party tools
> like firewalld to parse nft text output.

Which is a rather pointless argument regarding the monitor changes -
neither parsing 'nft monitor' nor 'nft -a list ruleset' output is a
particularly good option. Assuming that there will be at least optional
NLM_F_ECHO in libnftables[1], programs will receive the handles for the
rules they add, probably even along with the full rule depending on the
yet to define API.

> Ideally, I'd like to see a mechanism where the 3rd party tool can:
> 1. queue an arbitrary amount of updates (add/delete of rules, set
>    elements etc.)
> 2. learn the unique handles assigned to these rules
>    so that it can identifiy/remove each one of these rules.
>
> Thomas Woerner suggested a way where userspace can assign unique handles
> instead of the kernel but I don't like it because i found no way how the
> kernel could enforce that such user-handles are unique without walking
> all rules of a table for every transaction.
>
> But currently its impossible to delete a rule again without parsing
> 'nft -a list table'.  'delete-by-name' is good of course, but, has
> the same problems we have with iptables.  I like that we have unique
> handles that would allow to 1:1 map every rule to a uniqeue identifier.

My point with all this is that delete-by-name simply doesn't exist yet,
and given the obstacles it will face I guess it will take a little while
until it's there. My synchronous handle output patch and these 'nft
monitor' enhancements will provide an alternative at least until
delete-by-name is there and actually usable. Also I don't know of a
single point why not both ways should be made available - it only
increases acceptance in users, which is a good thing per se.

> But right now its more of a guessing game as the inserting program
> doesn't see the handle(s) synchronously, just via monitor.

This is only reliable if a project uses libnftnl directly and hence
knows it's own portid.

Cheers, Phil

[1] I prefer the longer name just because it's more different to
libnftnl than just 'libnft'.