The adapted code I used looks like this:
import org.nlogo.app.App;
public class OtherFile {
  public static void main(String[] argv) {
    App.main(argv);
    try {
      java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(
 new Runnable() {
   public void run() {
     try {
       App.app().open(
  "C:/{...}/Exercise1.nlogo");  //{...} is where I added the path to the
model, (which is in the same folder as the project root)
     }
     catch(java.io.IOException ex) {
       ex.printStackTrace();
     }}});
      App.app().command("set N 62");
      App.app().command("random-seed 0");
      App.app().command("setup");
      App.app().command("repeat 50 [ go ]");
      System.out.println(
 App.app().report("count turtles"));
    }
    catch(Exception ex) {
      ex.printStackTrace();
    }
  }
}
I adapted some commands to use the variables of the other model.
For compiling and running the model, I used DrJava, by creating a project
to set the working directory to be the Netlogo directory.
Also Netlogo.jar is added to the classpath. The settings and the model can
be seen in the attachment.

For me, the alternative model will only run if I disable the Bytecode
generator in the JVM, while the fire example will run just fine, even if I
place the fire model inside the alternative location.

So, anything else done differently could be the commands, but they seem to
be recognised by the program when running with the disabled bytecode
generator.
Thank you for your attention and I hope this clears up the setup of my code
sufficiently.

Thomas