If you want to capture some external source of information and bring it
into a NetLogo model, the best option is to create an extension.  We have
documentation covering the basics of the extensions API as well as walking
through creating a basic extension in Java or Scala.  As long as you can
access your external data source from a JVM-compatible language, this
should work:  https://github.com/NetLogo/NetLogo/wiki/Extensions-API

For more specific examples, you can check out the source code for the
Physics Extension, which uses an external physics library to process turtle
movement, and the Arduino Extension, which pulls in external Arduino sensor
data for use inside a NetLogo model.

- Physics: https://github.com/Loafie/netlogo_phys_extension
- Arduino: https://github.com/NetLogo/Arduino-Extension

I hope that helps, and good luck with your project.

-Jeremy