It turns out this was previously reported, albeit in a different way using
`other-end`:  https://github.com/NetLogo/NetLogo/issues/1345

Roberts comment there lays it out pretty clearly:

>  The problem (in NetLogo terms) is that myself is incorrectly set
to self within carefully (and the implementation of other-end uses myself).

He goes on to elaborate on the technical issues.

I added a slimmed down version of this code there as a language test we
could add to NetLogo to help work the issue.

-Jeremy