From: FERDINAND Pienaar
<pienaar.ferdin...@alcatel-sbell.com.cn<mailto:pienaar.ferdin...@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>>
Date: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM
To: "netmod@ietf.org<mailto:netmod@ietf.org>"
<netmod@ietf.org<mailto:netmod@ietf.org>>
Subject: Re: [netmod] three color meters in diffserv model

Hello Aseem

Thanks for your answer! If I understand correctly, the absence of the leaf
meter-rate has special meaning: the bucket gets tokens by overflow from another
bucket. So for RFC 2697, bucket C is has rate CIR, and its fail-action
next-meter-id points to bucket E. Bucket E has no leaf meter-rate, so its token
increment comes from bucket C's overflow.

How is it determined where a bucket's overflow goes? I'm assuming it is to the
bucket pointed to by the next-meter-id in its fail-action (if the target has no
rate), but this is not obvious to me -- doesn't this whole mechanism deserve a
mention in the description of the meter-rate and/or fail-action? Or maybe it’s
simpler than that, and token overflow is implied only for a list with two
meters, one with a meter rate and the other without?

Regards

Ferdi