> On 14 Jul 2015, at 19:21, Clyde Wildes (cwildes) <cwil...@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> Lada,
>
> I would prefer a specification that declares the "all" intent instead of
> relying on "debug" meaning all messages. A number syslog implementations
> specify a severity of "all". Example: rsyslog -
> http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/v8-stable/configuration/filters.html.
>
> I used the union approach because, in an earlier review, Jan Lindblad
> suggested it as a simple method to add all without compromising the RFC
> definition of Severity. His point was that adding a choice is a complication.

OK, I just expressed my opinion. I also note that RFC 5424 says: "Facility and
Severity values are not normative but often used.  They are described in the
following tables for purely informational purposes.” So I wonder whether you
really compromise anything by adding the “all” option.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C